The contest marked the first phase of an exciting partnership between ICP and Huawei, which kicked off this autumn and will run through 2018
The International Center of Photography (ICP), an institution dedicated to photography and visual culture, today revealed the winners of the Huawei NEXT-IMAGE Awards—a global photography contest presented in collaboration with Huawei, the third largest smartphone brand in the world.
The Awards drew over 150,000 visual creatives from over 90 countries around the world who used Huawei mobile phones to create and submit images in seven categories: @All; Me, Myself and I; Hello, Life!; Check-In; Citizen Witness; 3×3; and Timeline.
The full list of category winners includes:
- Yuzi, Shadows Gazing Back; Category: @All; shot on a Huawei Nova
- Cao Di, The Swimming Pool in Sahara; Category: Check-In; shot on a Huawei P10 Plus
- Jiang Mingdeng, The Music Takes You Higher; Category: 3×3; shot on a Huawei Mate 9 Pro
- Francisca Reyes, Subtle Summer; Category: Hello, Life!; shot on a Huawei P10 Grand Prize Winner
- Wang Ailing, The Night Train; Category: Citizen Witness; shot on a Huawei Nova Plus
- La Petite Touche, Rose; Category: My, Myself, and I; shot on a Huawei P10
- Clouin Kim, A Dream of S; Category: Timeline; shot on a Huawei P10 Plus
“I took this picture in my mother’s house in Santiago, Chile, on a late spring day. My six-year-old daughter Pascuala had spent the afternoon in the pool, and we were ready to leave. Her hair was wet and dripping over her dress, so I wrapped it in a braided ponytail. I thought the light was beautiful with sunset approaching, and her simple, red and yellow dress played well with the colour of the walls and the art. I think there’s something mysterious about the way she is standing in the room, reflecting after looking at the woman in the painting. I wonder what she was thinking about,” said Grand Prize Winner, Francisca Reyes, whose work ‘Subtle Summer’ took the prize in the “Hello, All” category as well.
The NEXT-IMAGE Awards category winners won a Huawei MateBook X and Huawei Mate 10. The Grand Prize Winner received $20,000.
The contest marked the first phase of an exciting partnership between ICP and Huawei, which kicked off this autumn and will run through 2018. The collaboration is designed to celebrate the power of photography and engage talented image-makers from around the world in a global dialogue.
Huawei was a two-time winner of the World Branding Awards, in the Technology-Mobile Phones category.