Featuring Guest Editor Malcolm Poynton, Global CCO of Cheil and Guest Essayists Jean Lin, Global CEO of Isobar and Rob Reilly, Global Chairman of McCann Worldgroup
The Gunn Report, the global index for creative excellence in advertising, has today published its 2014 Book and Showreel, a round-up and showcase of the world’s best advertising performance in the year January to December 2014 based on the results of 45 global, regional and national creative award contests.
The Gunn Report 2014 Book and Showreel have been guest edited by Malcolm Poynton, Global Chief Creative Officer of Cheil, who has written the Introduction ‘Ad Agencies, who needs ’em?’ as well as chapter commentaries and analysis of the featured award-winning work.
Also included are ‘Messages to the Industry in 2015’ by guest essayists Jean Lin, Global CEO of Isobar, and Rob Reilly, Global Creative Chairman of McCann Worldgoup. Whilst their career stories are quite different, their messages are remarkably similar:
In Jean Lin’s essay ‘Creativity Liberated‘, she suggests that “only two major roles exist in a contemporary creative team: the storyteller and the software developer”. And that “We have to get used to the fact that the game-changing ideas, at times, come not from the storyteller but from the software developer”. She goes on to say that “Great ideas create immediate results, in real-time. And most of the time, the right solution to the actual problem will not be an ad.”
Rob Reilly’s essay ‘Creative Is The Only Way To Survive’, pursues the theme that ‘In today’s reality, influencing people’s minds and behaviour requires more than great advertising’. Analysing creative problem-solving, Rob cites examples where clients and agencies innovate in ways that demonstrate that they are truly responding to their customer needs, such as the creation by American Express of ‘Small Business Saturday’; Barcelona’s Teatre Neu’s ‘Pay Per Laugh;’ and the world’s oldest corporation, the Catholic Church, which brought in a new CEO, Pope Francis, who through creativity has single-handedly revived a struggling brand.
In addition to the Introduction and Commentaries by Malcolm Poynton and Guest Essays by Jean Lin and Rob Reilly, The Gunn Report Book includes:
- League Tables of the most awarded ads in Film, Print/Out of Home, Digital and All Gunns Blazing (the Integrated/Titanium/Innovative et al work)
- League Tables of the world’s most awarded Agencies, Digital Agencies, Networks, Advertisers, Production Companies, Directors and Countries.
- More than 170 award-winning ads showcased with their synopses and credits.
- The Gunn Report for Media 2014, a global evaluation of media creativity, innovation and effectiveness.
- Cases for Creativity 2014:The Year of Share by James Hurman, Founder and Principal of Previously Unavailable
- Consolidated Tables based on sixteen years of overall performance 1999-2014
- The Showreel of the Year, a DVD featuring the top 126 most awarded commercials and campaigns in 2014
“This edition of The Gunn Report Book and Showreel bring together and showcase the very best creative campaigns of 2014 as selected by the hundreds of industry professionals that have sat is darkened rooms around the world, voted and debated for countless hours to award great and brave ideas that impact brand communications worldwide,” says Donald Gunn, a champion of creativity and Founder of The Gunn Report.
“Not only is it a reminder of the ground-breaking ideas that make this industry special, but also serves as a unique and essential educational and inspirational tool for those who want to learn more about the power of creativity,” added Donald Gunn.
You can purchase The Gunn Report Book and Showreel of the Year 2014 here.