Zynga has inked a deal to acquire Helsinki mobile game studio, Small Giant Games. The transaction is expected to close on 1 January 2019.
Zynga has announced its acquisition of Helsinki-based mobile game studio, Small Giant Games, the creator of hit franchise, Empires & Puzzles. The first 80 percent will be bought for $560 million, with the remaining 20 percent set for takeover over the next three years.
Founded in 2013, the Finnish brand created Empires & Puzzles 18 months ago. The offering blends approachable Match-3 battles with gameplay elements like Hero Collection, Base Building, and Social Alliances. The game has been downloaded more than 26 million times.
Small Giant adds an experienced team and innovative Forever Franchise to the Zynga live service portfolio and widens its new game pipeline amongst both international and Android audiences. The transaction concludes on 1 January 2019.
“Small Giant has created an innovative game that delivers a unique player experience that engages over the long term. We are excited the team is joining us. It will enhance our next phase of growth and add another layer to our portfolio,” said Frank Gibeau, CEO of Zynga.