Top 5 Brands in 2018 BrandZ Report Include Lenovo, Huawei, Alibaba, Xiaomi and Air China

A report released today by WPP and Kantar Millward Brown, in collaboration with Google, reveals how Lenovo Group—a global personal computer and mobile technology brand—continues to lead the rankings in this year’s BrandZ Top 50 Chinese Global Brand Builders Report.

The report takes an in-depth look at the Chinese brands that are making an impact with consumers in international markets and provides a rich seam of thought-provoking insights on how Chinese companies can successfully build their brands on a global scale.

The growth of the ranking from 2017’s 30 brands to this year’s 50 brands is in part due to the rapid pace at which Chinese businesses are pursuing global expansion.

Many of China’s brands are championing President Xi Jinping’s 2013 ‘Silk Road Economic Belt’ initiative, answering China’s clarion call for a new era of globalisation in what has been called the biggest development push in history.

Chinese brands are at the forefront of innovation and its global brand-builders are helping to establish ‘Brand China’ as innovative, cutting-edge and pioneering. China’s insatiable appetite for new technology is fuelling the growth of many brand categories and powering innovation at an incredible pace.

Consumer Electronics remains by far the best performing category, dominated by brands such as Lenovo, Huawei, Xiaomi and Anker.

In 2018, there are ten Consumer Electronics brands among what is now the Top 50, and they contribute 34% of the total Brand Power score. Collectively, Consumer Electronics, Mobile Gaming, and E-Commerce (including online fast fashion) account for 61% of all Brand Power in the Top 50. The remaining 39% of aggregate Brand Power comes from seven other categories.

“The companies behind China’s brands are taking a more active role on the world stage. They are increasingly shaping the conversation at a category level, as well as helping to support economic growth in developing markets in many ways, not least by investing in infrastructure.

“China’s brands are not only changing the way that people around the world think about brands, they are also changing the way those people think about Brand China,” said David Roth, Chairman of BAV Group and CEO EMEA & Asia, The Store WPP.

“Chinese brand builders aren’t just concerned with reaching a wider global audience; they are aiming to change customers’ perceptions too. Brands that succeed in China’s formidably competitive marketplace are not just out-gunning the competition in terms of innovation, they are deploying an equally powerful weapon – branding,” said Doreen Wang, Global Head of BrandZ, Kantar Millward Brown, providing insight into the growing popularity of Chinese brands.

Huawei was a winner of the World Branding Awards 2017-2018, in the Technology-Mobile Phones category.

Translate »